2023 Mazda CX-9 Model Review with Prices, Photos, & Specs
About the Mazda CX-9
Most automotive manufacturers will make you choose between a three-row SUV and something that’s actually enjoyable to drive. But, not so with Mazda. Mazda specializes in making enthusiast-friendly practical vehicles and the CX-9 shows that this is even possible with a vehicle that has seating for the whole family. The CX-9 handles like a much smaller SUV, while still delivering excellent ride quality and comfort – not to mention style. It also comes very well-equipped, with standard equipment like radar cruise control that competitors charge extra for.
What the Critics Say
What’s New for 2023
There has only been one major change for 2023, and that is that Mazda has dropped the Sport trim, making the Touring the entry-level trim. This trim level simplification still leaves five trims though, so no need to worry that you won’t be able to get just the CX-9 you want.
Mazda CX-9 Features
The CX-9 comes with a 2.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine that produces 250 horsepower and 320lb-ft of torque. Combined with the fact that the CX-9 is lighter than most other vehicles in this segment, it’s powerful enough to be one of the quicker options out there. But it’s handling where the CX-9 really shines. It’s not just responsive, but the 38.8-foot turning diameter is a segment leader as well. All-wheel drive is standard, and the 6-speed automatic transmission delivers excellent driver engagement, especially when paired with the available paddle shifters.
Exceptionally Well Equipped
Even at a glance, the CX-9 interior looks like it comes from a much more expensive vehicle. Settle into the driver’s seat and it feels like it too. The cabin is filled with high-quality materials that both look and feel great, in a way that you simply won’t find on competitors’ vehicles. The list of standard equipment is usually long as well, with things like full-LED external lighting, second-row captain’s chairs, rain-sensing wipers, heated seats, and heated side mirrors all included on the list. The 10.25-inch infotainment screen is large, and Mazda’s infotainment system is among the best in the business, although Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ integration are standard. Peruse the options list and you’ll find even more excellent equipment, like the Bose® Centerpoint® Surround Sound System with AudioPilot® and 12 speakers.
What makes the CX-9 such a rare sort of vehicle isn’t just that it’s great to drive, but that it’s also practical. There are three rows of seats, a choice of second-row captains’ chairs or a three-seat bench, standard all-wheel drive, and a power rear liftgate with optional hands-free operation. Because the CX-9 is built using lightweight construction techniques, it isn’t just quicker than its competitors, but it offers class-leading fuel economy as well. Mazda knows that safety is very important for family vehicles, so safety equipment like automatic braking with pedestrian detection, lane keeping assist, and adaptive cruise control all come standard on the CX-9. And Mazda Connected Services lets you lock/unlock or start the vehicle remotely.
Trims & Specs
- Starting at $38,750 MSRP*
- SKYACTIV®-G 2.5 Dynamic Pressure Turbo DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder producing 250 horsepower and 320lb-ft of torque
- 18” aluminum alloy wheels
- Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ integration
- Leather-trimmed seats
- i-ACTIV AWD® with Off-road Traction Assist
- Starting at $41,350 MSRP*
- Front Grille with Black Gloss Finish
- Rear Power Liftgate
- Ventilated front seats
- LED headlights with auto on/off and auto height control and LED combination taillights
- Wireless phone charger
- Starting at $44,780 MSRP*
- 20” Black Metallic wheels
- Leather-wrapped heated steering wheel with red stitching
- Exclusive Polymetal Gray Metallic paint and red leather-trimmed seats
- Adaptive Front-lighting System
- Automatic power folding side mirrors
- Starting at $45,640 MSRP*
- Smart Brake Support-Reverse
- Mazda Navigation System
- 360° View Monitor
- Windshield Wiper De-icer
- Bose® Centerpoint® Surround Sound System with AudioPilot® and 12 speakers
- Starting at $48,460 MSRP*
- Front grille with Titanium Metallic Finish
- Nappa leather-trimmed seats
- Second-row captain’s chairs with center console
- LED grille accent lighting
- Genuine Santos Rosewood inlays – shifter surround and door switchgear
*MSRP excludes taxes, title, license fees and $1,275 destination charge (Alaska $1,320). Vehicle shown may be priced higher. Actual dealer price will vary. See dealer for complete details.